How to Request the Court to Take Action in Your Divorce Case

Who should use this family law packet?

Use this packet if you have an order from the court that you want to have changed or enforced in your divorce case. Or if you need to file a motion related to a Family Court Matter under New Jersey Rule 5:5-4.

If your case begins with a “FD” docket number do not use this packet. You must follow the “FD” (Non dissolution) Application Process available at

The following are examples of some of the types of motions that you can use this packet

  • A Motion to Increase or Decrease Child Support payments (FM cases only)
  • A Motion to Increase or Decrease Alimony or Spousal Support payments. (FM Cases only)
  • A Motion to Change the Custody arrangements of a minor child (FM cases only)
  • A Motion to Change the Visitation/Parenting Time arrangements in your case (FM cases only)
  • A Motion to Enforce Litigants’ Rights. (This includes enforcing custody, visitation, child support and alimony or spousal support payment orders)


I do not recommend that you undertake your family law case by yourself. However, there are times and circumstances when it becomes just too expensive to hire a lawyer. The NJ Courts provide litigants with templates and valuable information about how to file certain applications pro se (by yourself).

Here’s a link to some helpful forms to use when hiring a lawyer is not financially possible.




4 Responses to “How to Request the Court to Take Action in Your Divorce Case”

  1. Ruby2008 March 8, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

    Helpful advice…very kind gesture to those who need it.. Thanks for the post

  2. njskypilot March 9, 2014 at 11:30 am #

    Larry, Thanks for writing this Blog. As a father who has been destroyed financially and emotionally at the hands of the family courts, reading your neutral posts is refreshing. Thanks!

    • lawrence berezin March 9, 2014 at 11:40 am #

      My pleasure, pilot. It really saddens me to hear your plight. The past is gone, but the future is in our control. Keep you eyes forward. I know I do in my life. Best, Larry

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.