The N.J. Courts online is a super resource for up-to-date information about the N.J. courts. Here are some frequently asked questions about your rights and responsibilities in the Landlord-Tenant courts (Click on the links for the answers).
- What types of claims are filed?
- Where do I file a claim?
- How do I go about filing a complaint?
- What are the filing fees?
- How do I prepare for trial?
- What happens on the day of trial?
- What happens if the landlord is granted judgment for possession?
- What happens to residential security deposits?
Please don’t think “just showing up” is enough to win your case in Landlord-Tenant Court if you’re the tenant. Take some of your valuable time to familiarize yourself with your rights and responsibilities. Otherwise, I promise you will be in for a very bad experience (which could have been avoided).